Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service
Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service
It is our ambition to create a truly inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected. By respecting and valuing each other’s ideas and contributions we can create an organisation that performs even better.
Whether it’s keeping calm under pressure, taking pride in giving something back to our communities, or getting a buzz out of being part of a dedicated team, everyone at Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service (HIWFRS) has their own reason for coming to work.
We want to find people who can be their best. We discover what makes you tick and help you to match that with what we need. Read on to find out where you fit into the bigger picture…
- Taking the pressure – Firefighters
During our recent recruitment drive we received more than 800 firefighter applications with the window only open for 48 hours.
There were 143 candidates taken through to interview and 71 positions offered to become new firefighters once training has been completed.
30% of those appointed were female compared to only 3% from the previous intake.
With 10% of those successfully making it through the process coming from a BAME background.
Since the launch of our on-call recruitment campaign created in collaboration with the NFCC and Home Office in August 2018, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service has received more than 330 enquiries to become an on-call firefighter.
18% of all firefighter recruitment enquiries have been from women.
During the 2018-19 financial year 15% of the new on-call firefighters were female, up from 4% the previous year before the Need More campaign launched.
- We’ve got your back – On-call firefighters
- Proud to make a difference – The supporting roles
- Be your own hero – Volunteer and community
Check out our Statement of Intent to find out about Positive Action.
Take a look at some of our stories on the community work we get involved in across Hampshire:
- Prince’s Trust Teams celebrate Success with virtual presentation
- Spread Christmas Cheer not Fire this year
- Celebrate Diwali Safely
- Show Respect this Bonfire Night
- ‘Smoke alarms save lives’ warns Fire Service
- Fire Service warns businesses not to overlook fire safety
- Access home fire safety leaflets in over 25 different languages
- Fire service launches new Home Safe Home campaign.
- Four networks setup to help promote inclusion.
- St Mary’s proud to unveil mural as they host the launch of Black History Month.
- Hampshire station works with communities to celebrate a variety of faith events.
- Fire service is dragon at Chinese New Year celebrations
- Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service hold Eid celebrations
- Female fire crew hope to make a splash in charity sailing challenge
- Firefighters aim to become first Makaton-friendly emergency service
- Female office staff become firefighters for International Women’s Day