Geeta Uppal Host of the Community Hour
Our next show will be on:
Monday 9th August 2021 at 3pm.
Theme and guests TBC.
Listen back to our previous shows
- Wednesday 7th July at 3pm – Let’s talk about physical and mental health. Geeta Uppal, Senior Access and Widening Partnership Officer at Solent, hosted the community hour with Abigail Oakley, Heads UP Project Lead, Solent Mind, Associate Professor Adam Hawkey, Strategic Lead for Knowledge Exchange, Solent University and Paul Overton, Head of Bitterne Park Sixth Form. Guests discussed the impact of the pandemic on our communities mental health, looking specifically at the impact on young people and how this has affected those studying at college or university.
- Wednesday 9th June at 3pm – The importance of lifelong learning. Geeta Uppal, Senior Access and Widening Partnership Officer at Solent, hosted the community hour with Ali Phillips, Post-16 Careers Coordinator at Southampton City Council, Ismail Ahmed, Apprentice student on Solent University’s Operational and Managerial Degree Apprenticeship and Rhys Phillips, UK Student Recruitment, Events & Enquiries Manager, Solent University. Guests discussed their experiences of lifelong learning and the support available to local residents.
- Wednesday 5th May 2021 at 3pm – Our journey in becoming a University of Sanctuary. Geeta Uppal, Senior Access and Widening Partnership Officer at Solent, hosted the community hour with Caroline Barfoot, Head of Student Experience, representing Solent. We were delighted to be joined by Dan Steel from Southampton Schools of Sanctuary network and Maryam Taher from the City of Sanctuary charity to discuss how we are creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for everyone. You can discover more about our work in becoming a University of Sanctuary at – Solent University, a University of Sanctuary
Solent University is all about creating opportunities: for its students, for its staff, for its partners. It offers expertise and experiences you couldn’t get anywhere else, opening doors and making introductions.
We are dedicated to pursuit of university education that enables learners from all backgrounds to become enterprising citizens and responsible leaders. We are committed to promoting economic and social prosperity for the communities we serve.
At Solent University, we offer a range of courses within our areas of expertise. The University is home to three creative faculties and schools:
- Faculty of Creative Industries, Architecture and Engineering.
- Faculty of Business, Law and Digital Technologies.
- Solent’s Business and Law Schools.
- Faculty of Sport, Health and Social Sciences.
- Warsash Maritime School.
Support is available to those who are wanting to start their studies at Solent University. From open days to bursaries, find out more about what we offer our students.
Our work with the local community.
With over 160 years of experience working with the city and our commitment to social justice, we’re proud to be making a difference. Our Civic Charter was launched in Autumn 2019 to help the University in further strengthening its role in the community.
As Southampton has developed, so has Solent, opening the door for people to go on and build successful working lives. We champion the city’s strengths, recognise its challenge and seize the opportunity to work collaboratively to build a fairer and sustainable future for all.
Our connections, resources and knowledge allow us to take action on the issues we feel we can make a difference. Read more about our commitments:
- Creating a city of life-long learning.
- Building a culturally enriched and cohesive city.
- Championing a healthy and sustainable community.
There are many others ways in which Solent can help the local community from supporting local businesses with student placement and live briefs, promoting volunteer opportunities to, supporting community organisations through a range of specialist knowledge, resources and expertise.
Find out more.
If you are looking to start a course at Solent, or a member of the local community wanting support, there are many ways how you can get in touch with Solent University:
- Discover more about Solent’s work in the community: [email protected]
- For university course, funding and general enquiries: [email protected]
- To find out more about Solent’s Student Union: solentsu.co.uk